2/25/2006

Better. I am reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn', which are probably the best American novels ever. I am in love with them both. When you think about them, or what you remember, it's hard to realize how good they are. I guess most people consider them cliches. But god, they're great. It's Huck's language really and thoughts, and the Southern-ness of them both that really gets me. I feel like they're giving me back my moral code. The kids are going to read them. They just are. Because it's my choice and I say so. I'm going to teach 'The Virgin Suicides' first though (which I don't like all that much), and maybe get around to 'Huck Finn' next year. I forgot the pleasure of reading. I was staying too focused on gay men and Russian lit and modern sex. What I needed was Southern hero worship and child narrators with perfect thoughts and Mark Twain's cynicism.

I wish summer were here already. It hasn't rained in something like 125 days. Not like it rains in the summer, but it's so hot your brain doesn't care. Today I bought Southern cotton summer dresses. It's so fun to be in love in the summertime. No one else can stand me these days it seems. I don't know what the deal is. I'm turning into my dad? Coffee makes me edgy? I'm kinda talking for once? I use up all my patience by 3pm?

I got lost on the way to the movie theatre again so I saw 'History of Violence' instead of 'The New World', which I'm going to try to see today. I agree that the sex scenes in 'Violence' are rare and wonderful.

I'm going to post icons and music on my livejournal in honor of 'Batman 650', which came this-close to slashing my slash pairing for real. Not bad.

1 comment:

rabbit said...

So... what have you decided to write about? :) I finally saw 'The New World' last Sunday. I liked it, for the most part. Very, very, very romantic. It was surprisingly so. I expected Malick to make some sort of commentary on the history, some sort of scene like in 'Thin Red Line' when he goes back to the island and everything's changed. Maybe it was more inevitable this time? But I don't think it was. And I didn't find all of the romance believable or the voiceovers as effective as in previous movies. But it was truly beautiful and there was a kind of a rare balance and acceptance that you wouldn't expect to find in a movie about, well, the new world. I liked Pocahontas though, and that it was her story being told. I kept thinking how the romanticism would be insulting to someone like my roommate, but if you are like me (and you) then romance is the only way to see life, or the best possible way. I think I want to see it again to really know how I feel about it.